GM recently confirmed the upcoming 2022 Chevy Silverado ZR2, the latest rival for the Ford F-150 Tremor and the Ram Rebel 1500. It doesn't hold a candle to the Raptor or TRX, but it certainly seems to be far more off-road ready than it's standard Silverado brother. The Colorado ZR2 has been available since 2017, but there has been no sign of a Silverado ZR2 until it was teased by GM in June. Now we know for certain it's release is slated for next year
The improvements upon the base Silverado start with the multimatic spool-valve dampers, electronic-locking front and rear differentials, 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory tires, and it's 6.2-liter 420 horsepower V-8 engine. It's steel front bumper has a 31.8-degree approach angle, higher than every other Silverado trim levels. These features definitely make it the most capable off-road truck in their lineup, but it falls short of being considered a high-performance off-road truck.
It was reported that it can to 8900-lbs with a conventional trailer hitch. It's payload rating comes in at 1440-lbs. The Silverado ZR2 seems to be shaping up to be a more capable workhorse in rough terrain. So if you're looking for a capable off-road truck without any of the race features of a Raptor or TRX, this might be the truck for you. However, Ford's Tremor package is worth a second look to know which is right for you.
Stay tuned for more info as it's released by GM in the coming months. Hopefully they'll release more specs and pricing soon!
2022 Silverado ZR2 Features
- 420 horsepower 6.2-liter V8 with 460 lb.-ft. of torque
- 10-speed automatic transmission with the Electronic Transmission Range Selector
- Multimattic DSSV spool-valve dampers
- Steel front bumper with 31-degree approach angle
- Enhanced 2-speed transfer case with Terrain Mode
- 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory off-road tires
- Skid plates geared towards both sand and rock protection
- Dual exhaust that is tucked away for a better departure angle
- ZR2 interior package including a 13.4-inch diagonal touch-screen
- Blacked out grille with the new 'flowtie' chevy logo for better airflow to engine
- A stylized raised hood with insert
- ZR2 wheel opening moldings
- Black bezeled LED headlights with tracer animations
Leave a comment