"Hey guys! I just bought your Stealth Fighter for my JL and was wondering what's the best way to remove the stock bumper?"
Since we get this question asked so many times, we have made you a step by step install guide that anybody can use regardless of experience. With that being said, follow these easy steps for a safe removal:
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Park the vehicle on level ground and set the emergency brake.
- We recommend reading through the installation instructions in whole before performing the work.
You will need the following tools:
- 13mm Socket
- 18mm Socket
- Reciprocating Saw
- Black Paint
2018 Jeep JL Front Bumper Removal:
1. Remove the two plastic clips that hold on the top plastic bumper cover. Then, remove this cover. (Fig A)
2. Unplug the front bumper harness located along the passenger side frame rail. (Fig B)
3. Use a 13mm Socket to remove both lower skid plate bolts. (Fig C)
4. Using an 18mm Socket, remove the bumper mounting bolts (4 per side). Then, remove the bumper from the vehicle. (Fig D)
5. **THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL** Cut the frame stilts just below the sway bar mounts. Follow the line shown in (Fig E). Make sure to paint over any bare metal when you are finished cutting. This will improve your Jeep Wrangler's approach angle and provide a cleaner look if you plan to install an aftermarket bumper.
Questions, comments or concerns? Feel free to give us a call to talk to our Jeep product experts at (480) 671-0820. Now that the stock front bumper has been removed, click to follow our Jeep JL front bumper installation for your ADD bumper.